The Village of Hillside contracts trash pickup on a weekly schedule for the village. The schedule for trash pickup is below. Residents are reminded to have their carts and items out for removal the night prior to their scheduled service day.
Refuse Wheeled Cart (Dark Gray): Residents should place household waste in the cart provided. Additional home owner garbage cans (32 gallons or less) can be utilized at any time under the new program if the quantity of your refuse exceeds the capacity of the cart supplied.
Recycling Wheeled Cart (Municipal Blue): Residents are encouraged to continue their participation with the recycling program. Recyclable materials shall be defined as newspaper (including inserts), aluminum, tin/steel cans, glass (clear, brown and green bottles, jars), all #1 PETE plastics – soft drink bottles, all #2 HDPE plastics – milk and water jugs, colored laundry bottles, all #3 plastics (PVC), all #4 plastics (LDPE), all #5 plastics (PP), all #7 plastics (other), corrugated cardboard, magazines, chipboard – cereal, shoe, tissue boxes, telephone books, catalogs, brown paper grocery bags, mixed paper – junk mail, stationery, envelopes, aluminum pie tins, aluminum foil, aerosol cans (empty), 6-pack rings, milk cartons and juice boxes.
Large Bulk Items
Residents can dispose of one large item per week. Large items include couches, small Items- tables, televisions and the like. Residents should contact Waste Management (800-796- 9696) one day prior to their service date to notify them that the item is being placed out for removal.
Appliances will be removed by the Waste Management in a separate truck on your regularly scheduled service day at no charge. Appliances include refrigerators, washers & dryers, freezers, air conditioners, stoves, furnaces, dishwashers, water heaters and dehumidifiers. Residents should contact Waste Management (800-796-9696) one day prior to their service date to notify them that the item is being placed out for removal.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
The Household Hazardous Waste facility in Naperville is open and available to all residents of Illinois. Household hazardous waste items are materials purchased for cleaning or maintaining a home. Business waste is not accepted.
156 Fort Hill Drive (immediately north of Naperville Public Works at 180 Fort Hill Drive)
(630) 420 – 6095
Sat: 9 am – 2 pm
Sun: 9 am – 2 pm
- Stay in your vehicle! This is for your safety.
- Clearly mark items in your trunk as HHW material to avoid having personal items collected by a hazmat crew member.
- Expect that there may be a wait. This facility is one of only four household hazardous waste sites in Illinois. Hazardous materials dropped off are processed for disposal as they are received at the facility. Please only bring accepted items to help expedite the collection process.
Accepted Household Items
- Aerosol cans
- Automotive fluids (including oil, gasoline and anti-freeze)
- Asbestos materials (in a size that will fit in a 55-gallon drum and not in excess of 50 pounds)
- Batteries (including automotive, marine and sump pump)
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFLs (sealed, unbroken only)
- Household cleaners, drain openers and pool chemicals
- Paints and stains (oil-based only)
- Peanut oil
- Poison, pesticides and fertilizers
- Non-controlled prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Propane tanks (20 pounds)
- Solvents and strippers
- Unknown hazardous substances
Items NOT Accepted
- Compressed gas (other than propane)
- Empty spray cans and containers
- Helium tanks
- Latex Paint (see below)
- Paper, glass, metal, wood and Styrofoam
- Radioactive materials
- Sharps (needles or lancets)
- Smoke detectors
- Trash and non-hazardous materials
- Unopened, useable consumer products
Latex Paint and Stain Disposal and Recycling
Latex paint is not a hazardous material. To discard leftover latex paint in the trash it must first be hardened. Leave the lid off or, to expedite the process, add an absorbent such as cat litter, oil dry or saw dust. Once the liquid paint is absorbed, place the can in the garbage with the lid off, so the driver can tell the paint is dry.
- City of Naperville – (630) 420-6095
- DuPage County – (630) 407-6700
- Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) – (217) 782-9261
- City of Aurora – (630) 844-3621
- Kane County – (630) 208-3841
- Will County – (815) 727-8834