Home Inspections – All residents selling their homes require a home inspection. Applications are obtained through the Village Hall. A $50.00 fee is required for a single family residence and $150.00 fee is required for a multi-family residence. Sewer inspections and final water meter readings are scheduled with our Public Works Department at 202-3434. Electrical and Code inspections are also scheduled with Public Works
A. ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS: (as noted in the Chicago Electrical Code)
- Three prong receptacles in all outlets including garage.
- GFI (Ground Fault Interrupters) protection on all outlets within 6 feet of water and any
outside receptacles including garage.
- 100 amp. service.( Note: Any 100 amp. service upgrade must be done by a licensed electrical
contractor with a Village of Hillside electrical permit).
- Smoke detectors on each level (including basement) and one within 15 feet of each sleeping
area. CO detector within 15 feet of each sleeping area.
B. PROPERTY MAINTENANCE CONDITIONS: (as noted in the International Property
- Peeling paint
- Condition of gutters and downspouts
- Broken/cracked windows
- Rotted/missing wood
- Garbage or debris accumulated or scattered on property
- Condition of fencing
- Condition of driveway (stone or gravel driveways are prohibited)
C. SEWER CONDITIONS: (as noted by the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of
- Gutters and downspouts
- Sump pump
- Floor drains
This is only a summary of what the inspector will be looking at. A copy of the inspection reports will be given to
the person meeting with our inspector. If you have any questions once the inspections are completed you can
discuss them with the building inspector.
- Inspections are scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday between 7:00AM and 3:00PM. Contact the
Public Works and Building Services office Monday through Friday, at 708-202-3434 to make
- Contact Public Works one week in advance to schedule your final water meter reading.
(You are responsible for all water usage until the final reading is taken.)
- The seller is responsible for correcting all violations.
- If the seller makes arrangements for violations to be addressed by the buyer, the Village of
Hillside requires a notarized letter from the buyer stating they “will be responsible for all
violations to be completed within 60 days of closing”.
- All violations must be brought to code and re-inspected.
The Village of Hillside requires a copy of your current plat of survey that is being prepared for this
sale. Please fax to our office at 708-202-3432.
To purchase transfer stamps please provide an original State of Illinois Tax Declaration form and
guaranteed funds (cash, cashier’s check or money order).