History

Historical Overview

Hillside has been known as the town of Proviso, taken after the name of Proviso Township, of which it is a part.

1833

Frank Covell, purchased land to build Hillside’s first home. Today this land is known as the landfill along Mannheim Road.

1837

Philip Bohlander settled along St. Charles Road and Taft Avenue.

1842

George Darmstadt established his farm near Taft Avenue.

1862

Germans established Hillside’s first church, Immanuel Luthern Congregation.

1894

Mt. Carmel Cemetery formed.

1899

Oak Ridge Cemetery opened, Glen Oak and Queen of Heaven followed.

1905

Hillside became its own municipality, with its incorporation on December 6. John Wolf was the first President of the Village.

1919

Dedication of its first village hall, built on the site of today’s Village Hall.

1916

Catholic families begin to organize. Mt. Carmel Cemetery was secured for a church, later moved to what is now St. Domitilla Parish.

1925

Street lights were erected.

1928

Paving of Butterfield Road and the building of the Hillside Bank.

“Main Street”

More than 200 companies comprise the industrial and business areas of Hillside, adding significantly to the progress, pride and growth of the community. Hillside, within easy access to highways, railroads and O’Hare Airport, has attracted major light industry, professional and commercial business and shopping centers. This not only benefits the Village through tax revenues, but provides jobs and an excellent source of services or products. Hillside is proud to present some of its “Business” Showcase:

The original “Butterfield Road” business district was the first to thrive in the early community. A variety of services and shops are located in this three block area.

Hillside Executive Park, a light industrial area, is located on Roosevelt Road and Fencl Lane.

Narco-Hillside Center for Industry is a 53 acre industrial site with an entrance on Mannheim Road and Madison Street. High Point Plaza at 4415 Harrison Street is situated on the highest point in Cook County. This five-story building contains over 100 professional and commercial offices.

The light industrial area on Warren Avenue extends five blocks west of Mannheim Road and is the location of a wide range of medium size factories. A freight terminal and moving and van lines are located along Mannheim Road.

The roster of Hillside’s business firms include many small restaurants and lounges, a motel with over 200 guest rooms, barber and beauty shops and a variety of services . . . all within easy reach to residents or out-of-towners who like to browse in the Village. Business, both large and small, remains a vital part of Hillside as an active suburban community.

Shopping Center

Hillside was selected in the mid-1950’s as the site of the first large regional shopping center in the Chicago suburban area. Opened in 1956, the Hillside Shopping Center has 67 stores, offering a variety of sales and services to the surrounding area. Keeping pace with modern trends, the Center was transformed into a 471,000 square foot enclosed shopping mall in 1967 and received an attractive facelift in 1976. Located at Wolf Road and the Eisenhower Expressway, the Center is the prime generator of sales tax revenues vital to the Village’s financial well-being. Carmax and Menards now occupy the space once taken by the Hillside Shopping Center.