ComEd has many resources available to assist our income eligible customers. Below is an overview of their available programs.
ComEd Bill Payment Assistance Program
- The ComEd Bill Payment Assistance Program helps income eligible customers who are past-due on their energy bills.
- Eligible customers can receive a one-time bill assistance credit of up to $500 for past-due balances, up to the amount of the balance.
- Available only for a limited time! The Bill Payment Assistance Program expires on 12/31/2020 or until funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
- Funds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Residential customers who are eligible to receive Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) benefits:
- must have received a LIHEAP grant after October 1, 2019; and
- must currently have a past-due balance on their ComEd account. Residential customers who are income eligible but not LIHEAP approved:
- must complete an application form, which includes verification that they are income qualified (household income of 200% or less of Federal Poverty Level (FPL)); and
- must currently have a past-due balance on their ComEd account.
Visit www.ComEd.com/BillAssistance to learn more
Flexible, Extended Payment Arrangements
- For a limited time, residential customers may be eligible for a flexible payment arrangement with a down payment on the past-due amount and the accumulated balance spread out over up to 18 months.
- Payments can be spread out over up to 24 months for income-eligible customers or those experiencing financial hardship, with no money down.
Visit www.ComEd.com/DPA to learn more.
ComEd CARE Customer Hardship Grants
- Residential Hardship Program
- Grant of up to $500 towards past-due balance.
- Available for income-eligible customers who demonstrate a hardship.
- Grant of up to $1,000 towards past-due balance.
- Available for activated military personnel and veterans.
Visit www.ComEd.com/CARE to learn more.
- Budget Billing – Spreads the cost of your electric service evenly month to month by charging a prearranged amount with each bill.
To enroll, visit www.ComEd.com/BillingOptions
Non-Profit Special Hardship
- ComEd understands some organizations face hardships, making it difficult for them to pay their electric bills. That is why we have the Nonprofit Special Hardship program, providing grants of up to $2,000, once per year, to eligible nonprofit organizations who have fallen behind on their electric bills and face possible disconnection of their electric service.
- Program Eligibility & Qualifications
- The applicant must be a registered Not-for-profit 501 (c)(3) corporation that does not discriminate based on religion, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.
- Must be able to demonstrate a significant financial hardship for the organization within the last year.
- Must complete the program application and supply all of the required information to demonstrate program eligibility.
- Examples of Non-Profit 501(c)(3) Organizations
- Centers for people with disabilities
- Senior centers
- Centers for homeless
- Cooling centers
- Supportive living facilities
- Adult day care services
- Apply Online – To be considered for a variable grant once every year, please complete the online application form at http://www.nonreshardship.com/. Applications will be accepted until funds are exhausted.
- The Nonprofit Special Hardship program is administered for ComEd by Elevate Energy. Elevate Energy is a nonprofit organization that helps people do more with less energy. Elevate Energy designs and implements efficiency programs that lower costs, protect the environment, and ensure the benefits of energy efficiency reach those who need them most.
- Questions about an application already in progress should be directed to Elevate Energy at ComEdNPHardship@ElevateEnergy.org or by calling 1-773-269-4037.
The moratorium on service interruption is still active for low income qualified customers. However, this should not delay anyone from contacting ComEd to determine eligibility for the aforementioned assistance programs.
IF YOU NEED HELP, CONTACT COMED
- Call us at 1-800-EDISON-1 (1-800-334-7661)
- M-F, 7am-7pm