Between March 12th and March 20th, invitations will be mailed to 95% of U.S. households regarding one’s participation in the once every ten-year census count. The remaining 5% of households who have P.O. boxes or are in remote areas will be interviewed by a census form taker.
Unlike past census counts, most of the population will NOT be initially mailed a census form to fill out. Instead, for the first time ever, most households will be mailed a letter offering an option to fill out a census form on-line, which is what the Census Bureau is hoping most people do. The letter inviting them to respond online will have a unique household ID and the web address of the official Census Bureau website. This invite will also give instructions on how to respond by phone (12 language options available). Option 3 allows people to apply for a census form to be mailed to them. You can request a paper form in Spanish.
Census Form Timeline
- The initial letter offering a person the ability to fill out the Census form on-line will be mailed out March 12th to March 20th.
- A reminder letter will then be sent out a few days later.
- If you haven’t responded by then: A reminder postcard will be sent between March 26th and April 3rd.
- If you still haven’t responded: A reminder letter and paper questionnaire will be mailed out April 8th-April 16th.
- And if you still have not responded: A final reminder postcard will be mailed April 20th-27th before the Census Bureau follows up in person.
- All households who are not compliant with filling out a Census Form will be visited by a Census Worker starting May 13th.
*** Census results are to be reported to the President by December 31st, 2020.
Census Data is Confidential and NO Questions About Citizenship Status Will Be Asked
Your census questionnaire answers are kept confidential by the U.S. Census Bureau. Your information is protected and cannot be shared with any other federal or state government agency. Results are reported in terms of numbers, no names are ever revealed in any Census reports.
2020 Census Questions to Be Answered on Census Form
- How many people are living or staying at your home on April 1, 2020.
- Whether the home is owned or rented which helps produce statistics about homeownership and renting and help in administering housing programs and informing planning decisions.
- About the sex of each person in your home. This allows the Census Bureau to create statistics which can be used in planning and funding government programs and can also be used to enforce laws, regulations and policies against discrimination.
- About the age of each person in your home. The U.S. Census Bureau creates statistics to better understand the size and characteristics of different age groups. Agencies use this data to plan and fund government programs that support specific age groups, including children and older adults.
- About the race of each person in your home. This allows the Bureau to create statistics about race and to provide other statistics by racial groups. This data helps federal agencies monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as those in the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act.
- About whether a person in your home is of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin. This is needed by federal agencies to monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as those in the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. Again, it must be noted that there will be no question about citizenship status.
- About the relationship of each person in your home. This allows the Census Bureau to create estimates about families, households and other groups. Relationship data is used in planning and funding government programs that support families, including people raising children alone.
What Will NOT Be Asked on the 2020 Census Form?
The Census Bureau will never ask for:
- Your Immigration or Citizenship Status.
- Your Social Security Number.
- Anything on behalf of a political party.
- Your bank account or credit card numbers.
It should be noted that returning an incomplete Census Form could result in either a follow-up phone call or a home visit.
The Hillside Public Library will have computers with Internet capability for those who do not have these resources available in your residence. Bring in your Census application containing your unique code on it and Hillside’s Library staff will help you navigate to the Census site. It will not be necessary for you to have a library card to receive census help. The library will have a computer available specifically for the Census that will NOT require a library card to access.