"Hillside's "Modern Era" began in 1925. 1928 saw the paving of Butterfield Road (shown above) and the building of the Hillside Bank."
The purpose of the Historical Commission is to identify and when appropriate preserve historical sites of the area, to contribute to the documented history of Hillside and to promote an understanding of the history as we know it today.
Hillside has been known as the town of Proviso, taken after the name of Proviso Township, of which it is a part.
Frank Covell, purchased land to build Hillside's first home. Today this land is known as the landfill along Mannheim Road.
Philip Bohlander settled along St. Charles Road and Taft Avenue.
George Darmstadt established his farm near Taft Avenue.
Germans established Hillside's first church, Immanuel Luthern Congregation.
Mt. Carmel Cemetery formed.
Oak Ridge Cemetery opened, Glen Oak and Queen of Heaven followed.
Hillside became its own municipality, with its incorporation on December 6. John Wolf was the first President of the Village.
Dedication of its first village hall, built on the site of today's Village Hall.
Catholic families begin to organize. Mt. Carmel Cemetery was secured for a church, later moved to what is now St. Domitilla Parish.
Street lights were erected.
Paving of Butterfield Road and the building of the Hillside Bank.
Fact-finding on oldest existing home on Wolf Road.