Automated Red Light Enforement Program
"BE SAFE: STOP ON RED"
Intersections represent a disproportionate share of public safety problems on roadways. In fact, motorists are more likely to be injured in urban crashes involving red light running than in any other type of motor vehicle accident. Unlike collisions in which drivers have no control of the outcome, those caused by red light running can be prevented.
The Village of Hillside in partnership with the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) is committed to increasing roadway safety, especially at intersections. We are joining a growing number of safety-conscious communities in Illinois, which have installed automated red light enforcement systems. A red light enforcement system has been installed at Southbound Wolf and Cermak, Southbound Mannheim at Roosevelt, Eastbound Roosevelt at Mannheim, Northbound Wolf at Roosevelt, and Westbound Roosevelt at Harrison. Due to significant traffic congestion at these locations, we are confident that this enforcement system will make a life-saving difference.
In order to educate and inform the community about this important safety initiative, we are launching a public awareness campaign, 'Be Safe: Stop on Red.'? Remember, lives depend on it!
On this web site, you will find information, which reinforces the extent of the problem, the automated red light enforcement solution and frequently asked questions and answers.
DID YOU KNOW?
Red Light Running: A Serious and Growing Traffic Safety Problem
- Over 60% of Americans see someone running a red light at least a few times a week
- Over 170,000 crashes, 144,000 injuries and almost 900 fatalities have been attributed to red light running
- One in three Americans knows someone who has been injured or killed in a red light running crash
- Nationally, the financial cost of crashes caused by red light running is significant, exceeding $14 billion per year
- Traffic crashes are the single, most significant cause of preventable death and injury in North America
Red Light Cameras: A Proven Solution
- 75% of drivers favor the use of red light cameras
- In the Village of Hillside, an automated red light enforcement system has been installed at Southbound Wolf and Cermak, Southbound Mannheim at Roosevelt, Eastbound Roosevelt at Mannheim, Northbound Wolf at Roosevelt, and Westbound Roosevelt at Harrison.
Over time, numerous studies suggest that red light cameras can save lives and increase traffic safety by:
-Changing behavior leading to safer driving habits
-Significantly reducing traffic crashes and dangerous driving
-Increasing police officer safety and public safety
We strongly encourage the driving community to "Be Safe: Stop on Red."? Remember, lives depend on it!