Permits / Applications / Forms / Requirements
The following permits/applications/forms/requirements are provided for your convenience. All forms are printable versions; click on the link you need to download the PDF file. Please note, the Village makes every effort to maintain up-to-date permits/applications/forms online. Permits, applications, and forms are subject to change and may require staff's careful examination upon submission to ensure that the documentation provided is complete. Please print, complete, and either mail, fax or submit in person.
Required Inspections for Owners or Contractors (Part I)
Required Inspections for Owners or Contractors (Part II)
Asbestos and Demolition Policy
Water Tap Specifications
Construction Container Requirements
Fireplaces, Solid Fuel-Burning and Gas Accessory Appliances
Above Ground Swimming Pool Specifications
Contractor Requirements Permitting
ADA Ramp Specifications
Residential Plan Reviews
Animals and Pets - Residents may keep up to two dogs and/or two cats per house or apartment unit. Animals may not run at large, but must be held securely on a leash. Dogs and cats must display a license tag on a collar, which can be obtained for free at the Village Hall. Pets are not allowed in the Hillside Commons.
Block Parties - Written request must be submitted to the Village Clerk at least 30 days before the scheduled event.
Building Codes - BOCA Basic Building Code; National Fire Codes (N.F.C.); Life Safety Code; Chicago Electrical & Plumbing; Various Local Ordinances.
Garage Sales & Signs - Each dwelling unit is limited to two sales per calendar year. Hours of the sale are limited to 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. for no more than three consecutive days. Permits are free of charge. Obtain rules & regulations at Village Hall.
Garbage and Trash Collection - Waste Management collects contents of gray carts and sealed trash bags, and one large item from the parkway once weekly. Containers may not be placed on the parkway prior to 4 p.m. on the day before scheduled pickup. Emptied containers must be removed from the parkway before 12 midnight on the pickup day. Special arrangements must be made for construction debris. Contact Waste Management 800-796-9696.
Home Inspections - All residents selling their homes require a home inspection. Applications are obtained through the Village Hall. A $50.00 fee is required for a single family residence and $150.00 fee is required for a multi-family residence. Sewer inspections and final water meter readings are scheduled with our Public Works Department at 202-3434. Electrical and Code inspections are also scheduled with Public Works.
Recycling program - Newspapers, magazines, junk mail, cardboard, glass, aluminum and steel cans, and plastics. Blue recylce carts are supplied by the Village of Hillside. Call 202-3434 for information.
Yard Waste Program - Grass clippings, brush, leaves, and other yard waste will be picked up from the beginning of April through the end of November each year. Yard waste must be disposed of using your green cart, brown yard waste bags, or your own 32 gal. or smaller can labeled "Yard Waste Only". Labels can be picked up at the Village Hall.
Branch Pickup - The Village will pickup branches, freshly cut and up to 2 1.2" in diameter, on a schedule starting in early April until the end of September, weather permitting. Branches will be picked up and run through the Village chipper truck on a regular basis. See the Hillside Happenings each month for pick-up dates. Removal of an entire tree by a resident/ contractor will not be handled by the Village.
Occupations in the Home - No home occupation may be conducted unless a zoning certificate has been obtained. Please contact the Village at 449-6450 for information.
Satellite Dish Antennas - Dishes in excess of 18 inches in diameter require a "special use" permit
Signs in residential districts - No signs are permitted in the residential districts except those indicating the name or address of the occupants, warning of a vicious dog on the premises, or as outlined below:
Real estate signs.
(1) No more than one real estate sign shall be erected on any premises, except one additional "Open House" sign may be used on the day of the "Open House."
(2) No real estate sign shall exceed six square feet in area. The top surface at the sign shall not exceed four feet in height from the existing grade at the point of installation.
(3) No signs shall contain the word "sold" or "leased."
(4) No sign shall be an illuminated sign.
(5) No sign shall be on the property for more than three days after the sale has been completed.
(1) No more than two candidate signs shall be erected on any premises.
(2) No sign shall exceed six square feet in area. The top surface at the sign shall not exceed four feet in height from the existing grade at the point of installation.
(3) No sign shall be an illuminated sign.
(4) No sign shall remain on the property for more than three days after the election.
(1) For a contractor actually doing work on a residential home and only while the work is in progress.
(2) No more than one sign shall be erected on any premises.
(3) No sign shall exceed six square feet in area. The top surface shall not exceed four feet in height from the existing grade at the point of installation.
(4) No sign shall be an illuminated sign.
(5) No sign shall be on the property for more than three days from the completion of the work.
Solicitors - Any person desiring to solicit door to door in the Village must apply for and carry a permit from the Village. Please contact the Village Hall for questions and please call the Police Dept. at 449-6133 to report a problem with solicitors.
Application for Solicitation
Swimming Pools - Anyone wishing to construct a swimming pool, in-ground or above ground, with a capacity of 2,500 gallons or more must first obtain a permit from the Village. Any pool more than 24 inches deep must be surrounded by a fence at least five feet in height.
Trees - Contact Public Works at 202-3434 with questions on trimming, removal, or replacing parkway trees.
Vehicle Tags - Effective on January 1, 2003, the Village of Hillside will no longer required village stickers to be affixed to the windshield of your car or truck.